Use the TOPx Toolkit to solve the nation's challenges
- solve the nation's challenges
- increase access to grant funding
- improve education systems
- connect veterans with jobs
- build climate resilience
- solve the nation's challenges
The TOPx Toolkit enables federal agencies to catalyze projects that transform open data into solutions to key national challenges at the heart of their missions.
The Opportunity Project is a program of the Census Open Innovation Labs at the U.S. Census Bureau.
Why Should I Use the TOPx Toolkit at My Agency?
Your Challenge + Data + Technologists & Communities = Digital Products That Solve Real-World Problems
The Opportunity Project (TOP) is a tested innovation method that helps federal agencies rapidly and creatively solve problems. The resources in this Toolkit enable you to use the TOP sprint model to:
- Address priorities at the heart of your agency’s mission that require data and innovation.
- Meet requirements to promote the reuse of your data.
- Catalyze innovation within your agency.
- Engage with data consumers and improve data quality.
- Collaborate with cross-sector partners to create digital solutions.
Ready to explore the TOPx Toolkit?
What is the TOPx Toolkit?
Census Open Innovation Labs created this Toolkit so that anyone can use The Opportunity Project (TOP) method to solve problems. This Toolkit provides you with the necessary information to execute a 12-week product development cycle – called a ‘TOP sprint’ – to rapidly develop digital solutions alongside technologists and community advocates.
The Toolkit will help you learn how to:
- Define a problem statement and assemble a team.
- Identify external sprint participants from the technology industry and more, and then lead the sprint process.
- Celebrate the accomplishments of sprint participants and measure results.
Included in the TOPx Toolkit, you will find a detailed step-by-step guide to executing a TOP sprint. Each sequential step includes:
- Checklists with key action items
- Tips and best practices
- Downloadable templates (e.g. emails, outreach materials, facilitation guides)
The TOP team at the Census Open Innovation Labs (COIL) is available to assist you with any assistance, clarifications, or to collaborate with you on your sprint.
End to End Implementation of TOP Framework
Planning on using the Toolkit?
What Does a Successful TOP Sprint Look Like
The Department of Housing and Urban Development and White House Council of Economic Advisors led a TOP sprint to increase financial investment in America’s 8,764 Opportunity Zones. This led to six standout solutions including:
Provides investors, developers, municipalities, and community members with data-driven insights to make meaningful, place-based investments
Community Led Opportunity Zones
Ensures that community priorities inform Opportunity Zones strategies, policies, and investment in Birmingham, Alabama
Inclusive Growth Score
Provides community leaders with local, data-driven insights that measure how Opportunity Zones benefit from equitable growth
TOP Sprints Create Lasting Impact
These three digital products demonstrate the breadth of solutions that noteworthy tech teams from civil society and industry develop during TOP sprints to address national challenges. All still in use, these tools empower meaningful investment using data-driven insights, and helped the federal offices leading the sprint to address mission-critical priorities.