The Opportunity Project brings technologists, government, and communities to rapidly prototype digital products—powered by federal open data—that solve real-world problems for communities across the country. TOPx is an adaptable toolkit for federal agencies, developed by the TOP team at the U.S. Census Bureau, that enables other federal agencies to facilitate virtual technology development sprints that address key national challenges. To learn about TOP, check out the Process page on the TOP website.
What is the TOPx toolkit?
Unlike an ordinary TOP sprint, which is facilitated by the team at the U.S. Census Bureau and focuses on challenges identified by multiple federal agencies, a TOPx sprint allows federal agencies to utilize the TOP model and resources to:
- Identify priorities at the heart of an agency’s mission that require data and technology innovation
- Recruit cross-sector participants
- Facilitate a virtual technology development sprint on a flexible and modifiable timeline
- Detailed step by step guide to facilitating a TOP sprint
- Each sequential step includes:
- Checklists with key action items
- Tips and best practices
- Downloadable templates (e.g. emails, outreach materials, facilitation guides)
- Technical assistance and collaboration from TOP team
Why facilitate a TOPx sprint?
- Meet federal requirements to ensure reuse of your data
- Facilitate a lightweight, cost-effective, and modifiable virtual program
- Catalyze innovation within your agency
- Engage with data consumers and improve data quality
What’s involved in facilitating a TOPx sprint?
|Phase 1: Pre-Sprint Planning||Effort||Time|
|Form a Facilitation Team||2-4 weeks|
|Define Problem Statement||2-4 weeks|
|Recruit Sprint Participants||1-2 months|
|Sprint Preparation||1-2 weeks|
|Phase 2: Sprint Facilitation||Effort||Time|
|Ongoing Tasks||12-14 weeks|
|User Research||2 weeks|
|Data Exploration||2 weeks|
|Product Development||5-6 weeks|
|Sprint Wrap Up||2-3 weeks|
|Phase 3: Post-Sprint||Effort||Time|
|Post-Sprint Event||4-6 weeks|
|Post-Sprint Engagement||2-4 weeks|